In our house spicy food is a must. No matter how simple or classic the dish, we like it hot. This spicy chicken fried rice is my go to lazy meal. When I’ve spent the day running around with the kids and lost track of time, this dish is my saving grace.
Its super simple, not so traditional but full of flavour.
Serves 6 approx.
Preparation : 10 mins approx..
Cooking time:20 Mins approx.
4 cups cooked rice (long grain)
1 Cup frozen peas
1 Red onion (diced)
3 Spring onions (sliced)
½ Red and green bell peppers
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
4 Thai chilli peppers (slices)
3 Eggs (lightly beaten)
4 Chicken breasts or thighs (diced small)
3 Tbsp. Soy sauce
3 Tbsp. Sesame oil
1Tsp Ground Ginger
1Tsp Szechuan pepper
½ Tsp Brown sugar
For the chicken.
1 Tsp Chilli powder
1 Tsp Chinese 5 spice
½ Tsp garlic powder
½ Tsp Ground Ginger
3 Tbsp. Cornflour
3 Tbsp. Sunflower oil
- Combine the cornflour and spices for the chicken together. Add the diced chicken ensuring each piece is well coated.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a wok or frying pan. When the oil is very hot add the chicken in small batches. Frying the pieces for roughly 4 minutes , turning the often. Set the cooked chicken aside.
- Scramble the eggs in the same pan, set them aside when cooked.
- Heat the sesame oil, in a wok. Till very hot. Then add the vegetables minus garlic and chilli.
- After about 2 minutes add the garlic, chilli, soy sauce, sugar and spices. After 30 second start adding the rice, chicken and eggs bit by bit continuously stirring making sure nothing sticks.
- Make sure everything is warmed through (this should take no longer that 5 minutes). Then serve and garnish with fresh chilli.
This is quite a hot and spicy dish so you can adjust the measurements of chilli and pepper.